Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Simple and Letterpressed




I wanted Rad to have business cards on hand at the 2010 Comic-Con, so I took it upon myself to design something and print them at the Art Center Letterpress studio. As simple as it seemed, (they are only 3.5" x 2" after all) they took forever. My teacher always told me there was no such thing as a "quick letterpress run," and I think I'm finally convinced.

The text information was printed first. My rollers kept dropping, but only on one side, making the text impress more on the letters on the right side of the card. I adjusted these about 4x before I finished printing 100 cards. Then I switched plates and began printing his name. The trial and errors in printing his name are too extensive to type, but I will say I was thrilled when I finally got them to print evenly, and am happy with how they turned out.

6 comments:

  1. These are beautiful, Mandy! You have such an attention to detail. I've never met ANYONE more meticulous than you!

    Abbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh. what kind of paper are you using for those?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's 530gsm bamboo paper made by Legion Paper. It's very squishy and perfect for letterpress :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful job! :) Good letterpress is in the details.

    ReplyDelete